-->

Friday, September 18, 2009

Food Storage Friday: Rice Krispie Treats


When I told Mountain Man my plan to try rice krispie treats without butter he was worried about how the oil would affect the taste. But we were all pleasantly surprised at how great these turned out. And all food storage friendly, baby!

Ingredients: rice krispie cereal, marshmallows, and oil (I don't think it matters whether you use vegetable or canola, but I would definitely NOT use olive--olive oil has a very strong taste to it).



Pour the oil into a large pot over medium high heat. After a few minutes of warming the oil, add the marshmallows.



Keep stirring so the marshmallows don't get brown on the bottom.



I took the time to spray/grease a 9 x 13 " pan, but I really don't think it needs it. The oil really kept the marshmallows soft and it almost seemed like too much oil with the cooking spray too. But for cleaning purposes, it's always handy.



When the marshmallows are completely melted, turn off the stove top.



Pour in the pre-measured cereal...



...and mix until it's totally combined.



Grease your spatula, so it won't stick, and spread the mixture into the pan.



Let it cool and set up for a few minutes before you cut into it.


I would have had to have rice krispie treats made with butter right next to me to be able to tell a difference. I couldn't taste the oil at all! These treats were also extra moist and chewy. The taste-testing team (aka bookclub) all heartily approved.

What a great treat to have on hand to make whenever you want!



Food Storage Rice Krispie Treats

2 1/2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
1 pkg large marshmallows
6 cups rice krispie cereal

Heat oil in a large pot. After a few minutes, add marshmallows. Stir until the marshmallows melt completely. Turn off stove heat and stir in cereal. Stir to completely combine. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 " pan and press down. Cool and then cut up in to squares and serve.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this! Thanks for the great quick treat idea.

JBSquared said...

Mmm, interesting idea! Makes me want to give it a try. Have you ever tried substituting butter-flavor crisco instead of butter in some recipes? We've tried it with a couple of ours and it turns out great! Wonder if it would work here?

Anonymous said...

Wow! I really would have thought that oil would not taste as good as butter. I wonder how butter flavored shortening would work? My son absolutely LOVES Rice Krispie Treats. It's nice to know I could continue making them...even without butter.:)

Thanks a lot!
Joyce

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I wouldn't have ever thought of trying that one. They look pretty darn good, should I give you my address so you can drop by with a plate of them??? Ha.
Thanks for sharing. I love your blog.

Anonymous said...

I wonder about substituting the marshmellow cream stuff.. keeping fresh marshmellows on the shelf for a 3 month supply would take up more space. I am thinking in mason jars and vacuum sealed.. Has anyone tried the cream?

Stacy said...

Do you think this would work in a cast iron skillet?

KT said...

This is genius! We love Rice Crispy treats around here. I can't wait to give it a try - Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Just found this recipe and had to say thank you! I needed a quick dairy free/ soy free dessert for a pot luck thing with a group of friends- one who is allergic to milk, one who is pregnant and can't eat soy. You saved me!!

C said...

Thank you! Had everything for the treats except the butter and I didn't want to go to the store. They turned out great and my kids were so happy!

silvershoe21 said...

I dont know much about your blog. Whats special about food storage friday? How do you store these treats? Long term?