-->

Friday, March 13, 2009

Food Storage Friday: Best-Ever Buttermilk Biscuits

Brittany here. I'd like to introduce you to the yummiest biscuit recipe I own. I recognize that biscuits aren't the healthiest everyday fare and contain trans fats from the shortening, and I feel I ought to advise you to make these only occasionally to keep your arteries clear. However, I will not be turning down any such biscuit--steaming and flaky--fresh out of the oven, now or especially during a crisis. But that's just me.


Ingredients: homemade Bisquick recipe (or see recipe below for from-scratch ingredients), cream of tartar, baking soda, powdered milk to make milk and lemon juice to sour it, and sugar.

Combine all dry ingredients, add the buttermilk (1 T. lemon juice or vinegar + milk to equal 1 cup), and stir together.

Knead gently on floured surface, only 10 to 12 times. Don't over-knead or your biscuits will be tough.

I can't remember where I read this, but it was a genius idea: instead of rolling out your dough and using a biscuit cutter or a cup, just cut it into squares. That way you won't have to keep rolling out the extra dough, which risks making your biscuits tough.

My claim to fame is that I used the pizza cutter to cut them. Note that it didn't help make my pieces equal, though. That's why my husband is the pizza slicer around here.

Place on pan and put in oven at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Oh, mama.

These are seriously fabulous. Really. But just make them twice a year, okay?

Best-Ever Buttermilk Biscuits (Better Homes and Gardens Complete Book of Baking)

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 T. baking powder
2 t. granulated sugar
1/2 t. cream of tartar
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 c. shortening
2/3 c. buttermilk

1. In a bowl, combine dry ingredients. Cut in shortening with pastry blender. Add buttermilk and stir just until moistened. Knead gently on floured surface only 10 or 12 times. Roll or pat out, and use a biscuit cutter to make circles or a pizza cutter to make squares. Bake in 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. Serve warm, or freeze for up to 3 months.

7 comments:

Wendy said...

I love the idea of square biscuits! I know that seems like a "duh" thing to say, but I've wasted tons of time (had to roll and reroll dough) making only round biscuits. Thanks for changing my thinking.

Wendy
http://iprepared.blogspot.com

Brandy said...

Crisco reforumlated their shortening in 2007 to contain no trans fat. Just thought I'd share.

by...K@ Ashcroft said...

Thanks for the recipe!

Even if Crisco "reformulated" their shortening. It is still just as bad for you. If it starts a solid it will again be a solid. Only this time in your arteries.

Winnow said...

Major coincidence here ... I've been using and loving this recipe for many years, but about a week ago I lost my old BH&G cookbook! I've looked everywhere! Still haven't found it, so I googled it, found the recipe, and just about every site said "this is the best biscuit recipe ever!" And then you post the recipe here! What do you make of that? It is, no exaggeration, the best biscuit recipe ever. Must be the cream of tartar? I make the regular milk version most of the time -- they're both outstanding. :-) Thanks ... ~Winnow

Bethany said...

De.li.cious. Thanks for sharing!

alpinekleins said...

These look delicious and a great recipe - into the file it goes!

Kristin

Unknown said...

I will not be turning down any such biscuit--steaming http //www.survival-warehouse.com and flaky--fresh out of the oven, now or especially during a crisis. But that's just me.