-->

Friday, March 6, 2009

Food Storage Friday: Fried Rice

My husband was a missionary in Taiwan before we were married, and learned a skill that ultimately convinced me to marry him: the art of making fried rice. Last night, I convinced him to help me make a food storage friendly version. It was just as good as the real thing, in my opinion, and it was even easier to make.

Ingredients: minced garlic, canned chicken, soy sauce, medium (or short) grained rice, corn, pineapple, and peas (not pictured - oops).

First, cook your rice according to the directions.
We have a rice cooker, which I LOVE! It's from my husband's bachelor days and still going strong. Makes perfect rice every time (and I never measure anything).


Next, heat some soy sauce in a wok (or a large skillet). As you can see, I accidentally used oil, but please use soy sauce. Oil worked just fine for me, but my husband informs me that soy sauce is much better.


Next, add the garlic and saute for a few minutes, then add the canned chicken. Stir around in the soy sauce a bit, then add the corn and peas, stirring until heated.

When it's heated through and the soy sauce has infused its flavor into the ingredients, put your chicken mixture into a bowl, and NOW add some oil to your pan.
When it's hot, add the sticky rice and saute for a few minutes.

Once it's done (heated through, and it's picked up all the bits you left in your pan), add your chicken mixture back into the pan and stir to incorporate everything together.

Once the Fried Rice is plated, add your pineapple on top. Some people prefer to add theirs when they add the peas and corn, but I don't like warm pineapple. It all comes down to preference.

Enjoy!

Fried Rice

2 c cooked rice
1/2 c canned corn
1/2 c canned peas
2 tsp garlic
1 can chicken
pineapple
oil
soy sauce

Cook your rice according to the package directions.

Heat about 2 Tbsp of soy sauce in a wok or skillet. Add garlic and saute for a minute or two. Next, add your canned chicken and stir, breaking it up into small pieces. Add peas and corn, stirring until heated. Set aside.

Heat 1-2 Tbsp oil in the same pan. Add rice and fry it up, stirring occasionally. Add your chicken mixture and mix together, incorporating all your flavors together.

Plate and add pineapple on top. Enjoy!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Thank you!

DD loves pineapple, so I'm sure this recipes will become a favorite.:)

Joyce

Jeannetta said...

That DOES look easy!
I think I'd add a peas/carrot mix, and maybe some onion?
I'm hoping to GROW onions, so that would be available.
Hmmmmm...
I've never cared for fried rice at a restraunt, but this actually sounds yummy!

Jodi said...

Ooh, and I was just looking for a fried rice recipe! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Try egg fried rice too, I always make that with leftover rice.

Chelsey said...

We made this tonight, and it was fabulous! I added 2 eggs after heating the oil. I scrambled them, and then fried the rice with them. It was excellent! As good as takeout, and much healthier and cheaper!

Anonymous said...

The other day I was short of time after writing a long blog post. yes, my family sometimes suffers for my hobby. anyway, I made fried rice with eggs, cold rice from the fridge, frozen peas, and soy sauce. I left out the strong garlic and onions, since it was only 6 in the morning. My son begged me to make this instead of oatmeal from now on. I'm not sure I will honor his request. But fried rice is a great dish to make if you have to feed the family in f3 minutes.

foodstr2 said...

I agree with those who suggest adding scrambled eggs to this recipe. It's the cat's meow!

Bruce
http://www.internet-grocer.net

Jeannetta said...

Has anyone put Spam in? I'm toying with the idea of Spam in our food stores, and I am wondering if any results are out there. Mind you I haven't EATEN Spam in 30 years, so there is a bit of trepidation :)

Justin and Lindsay Wilkin said...

Thanks Hannah Justin and I are going to try it tonight! :)