-->

Friday, October 29, 2010

Food Storage Friday: Pumpkin Oatmeal

Since we're gathering oats this month, and it's autumn, I thought this would be the perfect recipe to share today.

Pumpkin oatmeal! I got this recipe from "Deceptively Delicious" cookbook. The cookbook has some interesting recipes (read: scary) and some real winners, and this is a winner.

I will say sorry for the dark pictures. There's not a lot of natural light at 7 am in the morning this time of year.


Ingredients: oats, canned pumpkin, powdered milk, peanut butter, vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon


Start by mixing your water and powdered milk in a saucepan. Of course you can use regular milk. And probably even just plain water, although milk makes oatmeal super creamy.




Add the brown sugar

Canned pumpkin, I'm always generous with the pumpkin because I love it so


vanilla

and cinnamon.

Stir it up and let it come to a gentle boil.


Add oats, reduce heat and cook for 2-3 minutes.


Finally, stir in a generous spoonful of peanut butter. Delicious!


I will admit that I'm guilty of throwing everything in together at the beginning (even the peanut butter) and cooking it on medium low for 5-10 minutes instead of waiting for it to boil. It comes out great either way.


Delicious hearty breakfast, and my kids love it.


Pumpkin Oatmeal
adapted from "Deceptively Delicious"
serves 4

2 cups milk (enough powdered milk to make this up)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups oats
4 tsp peanut butter (I just throw in a nice big spoonful)


In a saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, pumpkin, vanilla, and spice. Bring to a gentle boil. Add oats. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes until the oatmeal is soft and creamy. Stir in the peanut butter, serve.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Do you suppose this would still turn out without the peanut butter? Both of my kids hate it :(

Abs said...

Karen,

Leave out the peanut butter, it's totally optional!

Keri said...

I love this recipe! I top mine with raisins and almonds. Also, since it doesn't use the whole can of pumpkin, I pre-measure the rest of the pumpkin, add vanilla and keep it in bags in the freezer. Then I make a corresponding number of bags with the dry ingredients and keep them in the cupboard. Then in the morning I don't have to measure anything except water and I don't have to dirty a lot of dishes (I hate doing dishes).