-->

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Food Storage Tuesday

Every Tuesday, we post specific items you should gather in order to supplement your 72-hour kit, your 3-month supply, and your longer-term storage. If you are new to our blog, don't worry! You won't be left behind. Just start up where we are and follow along. You will eventually have everything completed! Once the 72-hour kit is complete, we'll be putting together emergency car kits again (week by week). Once those are done, we'll gather the 72-hour kits again. So don't worry, just jump on in and join us where we are today!


This week for your 72-hour kits, add any pet supplies that you may need (when applicable), and also add some work gloves.  1 or 2 pair per family is fine.


How's your three-month supply going?  Abbie post a great article she wrote last week about food storage sweeteners.  Be sure to check it out!  What is your favorite sweetener?


This month for our longer-term storage we are gathering OATS!  Growing up I was never a huge fan of oatmeal but now I force myself to eat it for breakfast at least 3 times a week... it's so healthy and cheap!  What is your favorite oatmeal recipe?

6 comments:

Rudy Kearney said...

I have oatmeal every morning for breakfast, except for sundays.

What I do is prepare two servings on the stove ... it MUST be stove top, I despise instant or microwave oatmeal ... and then after it's done cooking, I mix in a scoop of a protein shake, like Muscle Milk or something similar.

My doctor tells me that the protein in the morning is crucial to your day. I like it because it lets me have different flavors for the oatmeal ... chocolate, mocha, vanilla, strawberry, all sorts of good stuff.

Anonymous said...

I like to mix in some dried fruit while cooking it - especially dried cherries! - doesn't even need sugar after that.

Unknown said...

I make a double serving most mornings and top with fresh fruit, cinnamon and maple syrup. Yum!

Anonymous said...

I started my Bug Out Bag yesterday. I have much of it at home, of course, and bought a bunch of stuff. Then I happened to go into a dollar store and WOW! A lot of simple items are available like small packages of tin foil, ponchos, small duck tape, rope, etc. I made some real headway with these items. I wish I had started there!

Anonymous said...

What is a Bug OUt Bag?

Ami said...

I fix my oatmeal with an equal amount of dry milk, making it creamy. Then I top it with craisins and chopped walnuts with maple syrup.

On days when I have cold cereal, we eat the granola cereal I make with rolled oats and nuts and craisins or raisins. See King Arthur Flour's website for recipe ideas.