-->

Friday, September 19, 2008

Food Storage Friday: Wheat Thins


Did you know that you can make your own crackers similar to Wheat Thins? You can!
This recipe is adapted from a book I have, "Simple Recipes Using Food Storage".

Here are the ingredients:

Water, oil, whole wheat flour (freshly ground from my wheat!), salt, onion powder, garlic powder.
First mix your oil,
water,
and salt together.
Stir well.

Then, add that mixture to your flour.

Stir together until the ingredients are just combined. You don't want to overdo it.


Next, roll the dough thinly across an ungreased cookie sheet. I would show a picture of me doing this, but... I lost my rolling pin and I used a large can of spaghetti sauce, and I'm a bit embarrassed.

Ok, next you want to score the dough. This means, get a knife and gently cut squares as big as your want your crackers to be when they're done. Don't cut all the way through, though. Once you've done that, prick each of the crackers a few times with a fork.
Sprinkle on your garlic powder and onion powder, and a little extra salt. I like to add sea salt because it's bigger, and I love salty snacks.
Now throw it in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
Once it's done, cut the squares up and enjoy!
This was actually my first time making these, and here are my thoughts: first of all, I wish I had rolled them out a bit thinner. My favorite parts were the edges where the dough had thinned out the most, because they were the crunchiest and most like Wheat Thins. Also, I wish I had put a bit more salt on top. I thought I had been pretty liberal with my salt, but apparently it still wasn't enough.
Since these turned out a bit thick and soft, I would serve them for lunch with chicken salad or tuna on top. Or, I could have skipped the garlic and onion powders, and they would be great with jam or jelly.

Wheat Thins
3 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 c oil
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup water
onion powder to taste
garlic powder to taste
Wisk together your oil, salt, and water, and add this to your flour. Knead together, but don't overdo it. Roll as thinly as possible onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Score with a knife, then poke each cracker a few times with a fork. Sprinkle on your onion powder and/or garlic powder to taste, as well as extra salt. Bake at 350 degree for 30-35 minutes. Once it's done, cut up your crackers and enjoy!

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Thanks for doing this demo! I've always wanted to make these but really wanted to see it done first! Can't wait to try them!
Kathy

Sondra said...

Yes, Thanks for showing this. I ordered a wheat grinder today - the hand crank kind off of ebay. Next I need to head down and get my wheat. I'm trying to follow your items in getting prepared. I haven't wanted to add wheat without a grinder (what is the point?). Anyway, recipes for wheat has really helped me WANT to get wheat. You do a terrific job in keeping me motivated to get really, really prepared. I am also glad that you showed Ann Marie's storage room - it helped me get motivated to get my little one really organized. I love your recipes using food storage. It really is helping me to use and store the stuff we are SUPPOSE to have. Thanks again - you have an awesome site!

Michelle said...

I just looked at your Blog for the first time. My friend linked me to it a while ago. I love it. It is motivating and informative. Thank you so much.

Heidi said...

We just made these between conference sessions and the kids LOVE them. It was enough dough to cover two large cookie sheets and they came out very crisp, I posted a picture of them on our blog. Thank you for sharing this!

Carla said...

Yum!! I gotta make these :D

Hartley2 said...

Thank you, I love your step by steps on all of your recipes.