-->

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Food Storage Tuesday

Every Tuesday, we post specific items you should gather in order to supplement your 72-hour kit, your three-month supply, and your longer term storage.  If you are new to our blog, don't worry!  You won't be left behind.  Just start up where we are and follow along.  You will eventually have everything completed.  Once the 72-hour kit is complete, we'll be putting together emergency car kits again (week by week).  Once those are done, we'll gather the 72-hour kits again.  So don't worry, just jump on in and join us where we are today!  


We are still working on food for our 72-hour kits.  You can read more about the 72-hour kits here.  How are your kits coming along?

Like I said last week, I'm taking a break from gathering my three-month supply while I'm gathering food for my 72-hour kit.  But if you are not working on your 72-hour kit right now, keep gathering your three-month supply of food!  You can read more about the three month supply of food here.  Make sure your recipes use non-perishable food only, in case you don't have access to fresh food/refrigeration.  Not sure what kinds of meals to plan?  Check out our extensive list of food storage recipes here.

This month for our longer-term storage, we're gathering oats.   You can read more about longer-term food storage here.

3 comments:

Deborah Jennings said...

I have mine gathered, but need to put them together and put them in a backpack. Also need to get another backpack for my husband. I do want to get a few more items.

And this summer I am wanting to dehydrate some of the vegetables from our garden to put in packets for soups and such.

nessa said...

Long time reader, and I have a question about the 3 month supply. I will be feeding a family of 2 adults, and even with planning we may have leftovers. I haven't seen anything posted here (or around the Internet - but you are my main source of inspiration for food storage!) about how to manage leftovers.
Any ideas for me? Our goal this year is to get our supply fully stocked. Thanks for all the inspiration!

Deborah Jennings said...

Nessa, we call "left-overs" encore meals. You can make your own TV type dinners with the encore meals. You can go ahead and freeze them, or use them within a few days.

If it is just veggies that are left-over, put them in a container and put them in the freezer, you can keep adding until the container is full. Then, let the mixed vegetables thaw and make a good soup out of them. This is always a good meal, especially in the winter months. (I got this tip from My mother. She did this all year long and on Fridays, she made a big pot of soup.