-->

Thursday, April 15, 2010

How to: Find Food Storage Recipes

We really think it's important to have food storage recipes that only use food storage items.  Of course, there are many great everyday recipes that you can make that will use your food storage, and that's an excellent way to rotate your food.  However, in an emergency situation, it may not be an option to just supplement your meals with food storage.  You may be living off only your food storage food.  And if you don't know any recipes that use only food storage food, you will be really frustrated.


That's why Abbie and I make sure that all the recipes we share on our food storage recipes page use only non-perishable food storage ingredients.


So, how do we come up with all our recipes?  One of my favorite go-to methods is to visit AllRecipes.com.  


Allrecipes has a really neat feature where you can search by certain ingredients.  See that "Ingredients" tab at the top of the Allrecipes page?  Click on it and you'll see this below:



The ingredient search!  First I always put in the ingredients I don't want to use: butter, eggs, and margarine (since they are not food storage friendly).  Of course, I could use powdered eggs or powdered butter but let's say I don't have them on hand, so I don't want any recipes that include those ingredients.


So I type those ingredients in, and I include flour and sugar, since I want to bake something.



Ta-da!  You should get a long list of yummy recipes that don't include the ingredients you don't have on hand.  If you find a lot of recipes coming up that use an ingredient you don't have, just go back and add it to the list of ingredients you don't want, to narrow your search even more.

I love using this method to find recipes because it gives me a lot of great options that don't use those perishable ingredients.  Try searching for wheat recipes, or recipes that use oats.  Once you find enough non-perishable recipes that you like, make a food storage plan and then make your master grocery list.

Finally, you can also list the results by title, rating, or relevance.  I like to sort by rating, so I can see all the top-rated ones first.  

Good luck finding your food storage recipes!!  Let us know if you find any great ones!



3 comments:

Bryce said...

At my place, we've been building up a notebook of recipes. Especially since we've had to move toward more homemade food. (Thus food that we naturally stock up and store.)

We had to switch to more homemade food because we found out my wife has the gluten allergy. SO much for my 20 buckets of wheat... anybody want to trade?

By the way, great pointer with the ingredient search. I didn't know they had that, although I feel like I should have.

Laura said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

misskate said...

I recently came across this recipe on this very site:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Anzac-Biscuits-I/Detail.aspx
(**note: it calls for "golden syrup" but we used corn syrup and they were great!)


If you like coconut (and i do) these little cookies are AMAZING! and completely food storage friendly!
While, one can't live on cookies alone, if you found yourself needing to rely wholly on food storage (or even a good excuse to rotate supplies), a little comfort food probably won't be unappreciated.