-->

Friday, April 23, 2010

Food Storage Friday: Black Bean and Corn Salad

IMG_9187.JPG


I'm so excited about this recipe. Not just because it's delicious, but because I'm using my first garden produce of the year!


Last fall we planted cabbage, broccoli and red onions. It's just been the last couple of weeks that we've picked the produce and eaten it. This recipe features my homegrown red onions. Food grown in your garden is totally food storage because you aren't depending on anyone else to get it.


IMG_9169.JPG


Ingredients: red onions, olive oil, corn, diced tomatoes, lemon juice, red wine vinegar and black beans.


I cooked these beans from dry and then just measured out two cans (1 2/3 cups each can) worth. You can use canned beans just fine.


IMG_9172.JPG


If you have tomatoes from your garden, you can use those, but since my tomatoes aren't nearly ready yet, I just used diced. I drained them so they wouldn't be too wet.


IMG_9174.JPG


Homegrown red onions!


IMG_9177.JPG


IMG_9178.JPG


Chop up the onion and combine the onion, corn, tomatoes and black beans in a bowl.


IMG_9179.JPG


Add the lemon juice


IMG_9180.JPG


oil and red wine vinegar


IMG_9182.JPG


salt


IMG_9185.JPG


pepper


IMG_9188.JPG


Mix it all together. If you have cilantro growing in your garden, chop some up and mix it in. I'm not a big fan of cilantro--so I left it out. If you don't like cilantro either, check out this article: Cilantro Haters It's Not Your Fault.


IMG_9193.JPG


Pack it up and take it camping, or to a BBQ--it's a delicious summer salad.


Black Bean and Corn Salad


What We Eat


1 15oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained


1 17oz can whole kernal corn, drained


1 15oz can diced tomatoes, drained


1 purple onion, chopped


1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)


3-4 Tbsp lime or lemon juice


2 Tbsp olive oil


1 Tbsp red wine vinegar


1 tsp salt


1 tsp pepper


Combine ingredients in a large bowl, cover and chill. Garnish with fresh cilantro.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there a substitution for the red wine vinegar available?

Mary Lou in Central NY said...

Thank you! I made this today as soon as I saw your recipe. It tastes wonderful! Besides the canned goods, I got to rotate in new bottles of lemon juice and olive oil as well. Truly a food storage rotating recipe for me!

Georganne said...

Ha ha. I LOVE the cilantro article. :) I'm forwarding it to everyone I know that hates cilantro.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this recipe. I made this today and it tastes great. I'm sure it will taste even better once the flavours have had a chance to meld.

I don't like cilantro either, so I substituted celery, which also gave the salad an extra bit of crunch. Not a food storage item, but is something that I had in the fridge.

And I've been trying to make at least one meatless meal per week so this recipe will be a nice addition to our supper menus.