-->

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

How To...Whole Wheat Bread by Bread Machine

Another way to make bread is in a bread machine.



Thanks to Stephany S. for letting me borrow her machine.




It's super sweet!




I just used the recipe from the bread machine manual. Ingredients: whole wheat flour, powder milk, water, oil, brown sugar, salt and yeast.



I ground my wheat on the finest setting because the recipe actually called for bread flour.



This is the neatest part of a bread machine I think, all the ingredients go straight into the bread pan---one pot cleanup!

The little hook is a the kneading hook. If you have a bread machine though, you probably already knew that.


Add the ingredients in the order listed in the recipe, after removing the bread pan from the machine.




Set the machine according to what type of bread you are making. I choose the whole wheat quick bread. I used instant yeast in order to get it done in less than 3 hours--again, if you have a bread machine you already know this stuff.



When you turn on the machine, it will make weird kneading noises which will drive the dogs crazy. Just so you know.






When the bread is done, a timer will sound and you can pull the bread out and let it cool on a cooling rack.




How easy was that? I dumped the ingredients, turned on the machine and went on errands. When I came back--fresh bread!




Delicious too!


Whole Wheat Bread


1-1/2 cup + 1 tsp water
3 Tbsp oil
2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp powdered milk
4-1/3 cups whole wheat flour
2-1/2 tsp yeast

Add ingredients into bread pan in order listed. Cook according to your machine's directions.
Eat. Eat more.



One year ago on SGI: How to Make Croutons

3 comments:

Shayleen Lunt said...

I love bread machines! We bought one with our Christmas money and it's been totally worth it. Although we tried our user's manual recipe and didn't care for it. After adjusting/combining a few other recipes, we have come up with our favorite (so far)...
1 1/4 c. water
2 T shortening
3 T honey
3 T dry milk
1/4 c. potato flakes
1/2 t salt
3 c whole wheat flour (we grind our own too)
1 c white flour
4 t gluten
2 t active dry yeast

We use the regular whole wheat setting and pull it out 20 minutes before the timer goes off...most bread machines do the crust a little darker than I like.

Yum!
shaylenejohnson at hotmail dot com

Sondra said...

I use a bread machine to make mine too. BUT, I don't bake it in the bread machine, I mix it on the "dough" setting. After it is done, you take out the dough and put it in a regular pan - so that it is a regular bread shape and not a square. I LOVE my bread maker. I also make soup bread bowls the same way - Yum!

I use 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat most of the time. Here is a link to my bread making post. This is the best bread - everyone loves it! What is better then warm bread and the smell it brings to your home.

Here is a link to my bread post: http://murrayandmathews.blogspot.com/2009/03/recipe-for-homemade-wheat-bread.html

Enjoy!

Sharron said...

If you want a lighter crust, use white sugar instead of the brown. If you put a crushed vitamin c tablet into the liquid, it will make your bread softer.