-->

Friday, April 10, 2009

Food Storage Friday: Strawberry Shortcake

I'm coming to you from the road - my grandma's house in Pennsylvania, to be exact. Hence the pretty countertops and wide open spaces. We decided to try out strawberry shortcake - a perfect treat for springtime (and any other time of the year, really). I adapted this recipe from one I found here at Allrecipes.com.

Ingredients: Sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, shortening, and powdered milk. And canned berries - any kind you like (not pictured here... they were currently being purchased at the store!).  But we ended up using strawberry pie filling.

First, combine the flour, some of the sugar, baking powder, and salt.

Side note: is this not the cutest salt container you've ever seen?? It looks so fun and vintage. I would have asked my grandma about it but she actually currently lives in Palmyra. I'll have to get the story on that when I talk to her next.

Cut in your shortening until the mixture is nice and crumbly - similar to making a pie crust.

Finally, prepare your powdered milk (1/3 c powder for every 1 cup of water) and stir in until moistened.

Dollop the dough onto the baking sheet, then flatten them into circles. Sprinkle the remaining sugar on top. Bake at 425 for about 10 minutes.

Once it's cooled a bit, slice sideways and pour your canned berries on top. Click here to get our recipe for whipped cream using powdered milk, and you're good to go!


Strawberry Shortcake
Serves 4

1 can strawberries (or any other fruit you like)
8 tsp sugar
1 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c shortening
6 Tbsp milk (prepared from dry milk)

In a bowl, combine the flour, 4 tsp of sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Cut in shortening until crumbly.  Next, stir in the prepared milk just until moistened.  Drop 4 dollops of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet, then press into circles.  Sprinkle tops with remaining (4 tsp) sugar.

Bake at 425 for 10-11 minutes.  Once cooled, slice horizontally and add strawberries and whipped topping.

4 comments:

Melonie said...

This looks wonderful! I have canned apples and Bing cherries - I may have to try making a cherry shortcake! I suppose it would work with the apples too, kinda like a free-form apple pie?

Jeannetta said...

This looks wonderful, we're going to try it on our next "Food Storage Friday!"
I got a chuckle though, 'grandma's house in Pennsylvania,' I visualized a lovely farm house, not so many amenities maybe--the laptop and the cordless phone were just a little incongruent with the cozy, bucolic, farmhouse of my imagination! lol

Hannah said...

Funny you should say that, Jeannetta - it IS a farm... but we do have amenities, thankfully. :)

JOY said...

YUM!