-->

Friday, April 24, 2009

Food Storage Friday: Italian Bread Bowls

I know I said I wasn't going to do anymore soup stuff. But bread is okay all year long right?

I will rescind my anti-soup threat if I get cantaloupe this year in my garden. Rachael Ray makes an awesome chilled cantaloupe soup that I'm dying to try, and produce grown in your own garden is totally food storage friendly.


Anyway, in our bread bowls we have: flour, yeast, salt, vegetable oil, cornmeal and warm water (not pictured)



Put the warm water, oil, salt and a couple cups of flour in your mixer







Mix it up a little.


Then add the yeast and a little more flour and mix.



While the mixer is running, continue adding flour until the dough pulls away from the sides and the bottom of the mixer. At this point, leave the mixer on for five minutes.



Spray a bowl with cooking spray



And when your dough has finished mixing


Put it in the bowl (they call me Captain Obvious).



Cover your bowl with a clean dishtowel and place in a warm oven. My oven has a 'warm' setting (about 200 degrees F.) and I preheat it to 'warm' then when I'm ready to put the dough in, I turn off the oven. I don't want the oven to get too hot and cook the dough.

Oh, and make sure your dishtowel doesn't hang down too low and touch the heating elements.


Because it will catch on fire.



While the dough is rising, grease two cookie sheets and sprinkle them with cornmeal.




When the dough has doubled in size (about 45 minutes or less in a warm oven), pull it out and punch it down.


Separate the dough into 8 mini loaves



and shape them into round balls



Let them raise in a warm spot (like in the sun by a window) until doubled again--about an hour this time. I cover them with dishtowels to keep the dough from drying out.


When they've doubled in size, pop them in a 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. If you are rotating and have access to eggs, you can brush the tops with a beaten egg and a little water, for a shiny crust.




This recipe makes great bread (2 large loaves if you want) or to use them as bread bowls, slice off just the tip top of the roll.



Carefully pull out most of the bread inside




and eat it, honestly, the best part.



Fill the 'bowl' with hot soup and enjoy!

The best part about this recipe, is that you can use a canned soup, or a dried soup powder (rehydrated) and still feel like its a great home cooked meal.



Italian Bread Bowls
recipe courtesy of Anna M.

2 Tbsp instant yeast
2-1/2 cups warm water
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
7 cups flour
1 Tbsp cornmeal

Combine water, salt, oil and 2-3 cups flour in the mixer. Mix together. Add yeast and more of the flour. Mix and then with the mixer running, continue adding flour until the dough pulls away from the sides ad bottom and is not too sticky. Knead in mixer until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes.

Cover and let rise in warm oven until double, about 45 minutes. Punch down and then form into 8 round loaves. Place on a cookie sheet that has been lightly greased and sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise until double in a warm place, about one hour.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. To use as bowls, carefully slice the top off and pull out the center leaving at least 3/4 inch sides of bread in bowls. Fill with hot soup and serve immediately.

5 comments:

Marie said...

Love this! Thanks for the recipe!

Laura said...

I'm a new fan of your blog. I just came across it on someone's page & I love it!! I can't wait to try the breadbowl recipe!! Thanks!!

Unknown said...

I hope my bread bowls rise as nice as your pictures. It sure looks good.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Have you halved this recipe or frozen the bread bowls or dough? 8 loaves is way too many for my little family, but I really want to try these.

Abs said...

Holly,
I haven't halved the recipe but I often freeze half of the bread bowls and they defrost nicely.