-->

Friday, April 17, 2009

Food Storage Friday: No-Bake Cookies Revisited

Hi, Brittany here. I know a no-bake cookie recipe has already been posted (aka Coconut Macaroons, I believe), but this is my favorite recipe. Best of all, it does not include any butter or shortening. The original recipe calls for butter, but I have made it a bajillion times without any and have found that the peanut butter replaces the need for the additional fat.


My only regret in sharing this recipe is that it may cause all of us to gain a considerable amount of weight should we be in a "pantry-eating only" dilemma . . . but they are a fairly healthy dessert choice, so I really don't feel too guilty.

Ingredients: rolled oats (you can use instant, but I prefer old-fashioned), milk (make powdered milk--sorry I have fresh pictured!), cocoa, sugar, salt, vanilla, peanut butter.

Mix 2 c. sugar and 2 T. cocoa in saucepan. Add a dash of salt and 3/4 c. milk and stir well. Bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes on medium.

It will look like this.


Next, turn off the heat and add 1 t. vanilla and 3/4 c. peanut butter. Stir until it's smooth.

In the meantime, in a separate large bowl pour 3 - 3 1/2 c. oats. Add the cocoa peanut butter syrup and stir well.

NOTE: Sometimes I add more or less oats, depending on how dry or wet I want the cookies to be. These turned out to be a little too dry for my taste, but that didn't keep me from eating them.

Shape into balls and put on wax-paper lined pan. Refrigerate until hardened. (Or, if you're like me, you ate as you went along and didn't mind that they were too hot.)

They're not much too look at, but they taste pretty darn good going down.



No-Bake Cookies

2 tbs. cocoa
2 c. sugar
dash of salt
3/4 c. milk
1 t. vanilla
3/4 c. peanut butter
3 - 3 1/2 c. oatmeal

Mix cocoa, sugar, salt, and milk in saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook 3 minutes on medium.

Turn off heat and stir in vanilla and peanut butter.

Add cocoa peanut butter mixture to separate bowl with oats already in it. Mix well and drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper.

Makes approximately 18.

Refrigerate until hard and enjoy!

4 comments:

Tori said...

This is one of my favorite food storage recipes, too. Though, I haven't tried making it without butter. I'll have to see how that goes!

Heatherlyn said...

If there is a need to live off food storage I don't think people will have to be too concerned about getting too many calories. More like, it will be a challenge to get enough calories. Your recipe would be very popular.

Megan said...

These look sooooooooo yummy! Thanks for the recipe, I'll definitely try it. And being gluten intolerent, I love that it can easily be made gluten free if you have gf oatmeal.

LaMa said...

could you once more clarify whether I need normal milk or powdered milk for thsi recipe?
thanks