-->

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Food Storage Friday (err...Saturday): Fruit and Nut Energy Bars

I got the recipe for these fruit and nut bars from Family Fun. From the recipe they looked a lot like Lara Bars, which I really like, so I thought I'd give them a try.

Ingredients: dates, peanuts, vanilla and salt


First, put the peanuts in the food processor. Or blender if you got a really awesome blender for Christmas which I did. Sorry the pic is rotated...

Process the nuts---I think I went a little too far, I would leave more chunks next time. This was approaching peanut butter.

Put the processed peanuts in a separate bowl.


Then add the dates to the food processor.


Process the dates

Then add the peanuts back into the processor, as well as the vanilla and the salt.



Process it all together.



You want to be able to squeeze the mixture and form bars. So dump it on a clean surface and start forming into bars


The recipe says it makes six bars, I was only able to get five and they were TINY! But the recipe would be easily doubled or tripled.



Eat right away or wrap individually in plastic and store in the fridge.

Consensus: they were delicious (if you like peanuts). Mountain Man REALLY liked them and had a couple right away. With no added sugar it makes a great granola bar substitute and was really quick to make.

There are several other types of fruit and nut bars on the Family Fun page that use different nuts if you have peanut allergies. I'd be interested to hear how they turn out if you try them.


Peanut Butter Snaps
Family Fun

2/3 cup dates
1/3 cup peanuts
1/4 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

Grind peanuts in a food processor. Remove to a bowl. Grind dates in the processor. Add the ground peanuts back in along with the vanilla and salt. Process until you can squeeze the mixture into bars. Form 5-6 bars and enjoy! To store, wrap individually in plastic and store in the fridge for a week.

1 comments:

Shannon said...

Thank you for mentioning that they have other bar recipes! We have a severe peanut allergy in our family, and I am always looking for recipes that I can make work for our family.