-->

Friday, December 3, 2010

Food Storage Friday: Pinwheel Cookies


This is the perfect recipe for all that leftover pie crust... and now I'm realizing that I'm about a week late posting it, since it would have been great to have this recipe when you all were making your Thanksgiving pies!  So, just make pie crust especially for this one (like I did), or make it next time you make a pie (Christmas?).  It's definitely worth making a crust specially for this, though... I really liked these flaky cookies and will probably be making them again soon.

My mom actually did something similar to this when I was growing up, but she just baked the pie crust on the bottom of a pie pan, and sprinkled the sugar and cinnamon on top, and cut the pieces into wedges.  Perhaps you have your own version of this recipe?

Pinwheel Cookies
(based on this recipe from Allrecipes.com)

The lineup:
 brown sugar, cinnamon, shortening, salt, flour

Make your favorite pie crust (assuming you use flour, salt, and shortening.... that's the food storage friendly way, anyway).


Roll out the crust to about 1/8 inch thick.  Spread about 1-2 tsp of shortening on top (I just did this with a fork, it was really easy).  Sprinkle brown sugar & cinnamon on top.  To be honest, I didn't measure these at all, I just guessed and went by what looked good.

Roll up the crust, then cut into 3/4 inch pieces. 

Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 8-9 minutes at 450 degrees.

Easy, good, & fast.  Good combo, in my opinion.


Pinwheel Cookies
(based on this recipe from Allrecipes.com)

Ingredients:
1 1/4 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c shortening
3-4 Tbsp water (or as needed)
1-2 tsp shortening
brown sugar (about 1/3 c)
cinnamon

Make your favorite pie crust.  If you don't have a favorite, just mix the flour & salt (measurements above).  Cut in shortening until mixture is coarse.  Add water, a bit at a time, and mix until it resembles pie crust.

Roll out 1/8 inch thick, and spread shortening on top.  Sprinkle brown sugar and shortening.  Roll into a log and cut into 3/4 inch pieces.  Place pieces on greased cookie sheet and bake at 450 degrees for about 8 minutes, or until golden and sizzling on the bottom.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If only my pie crust came out this tender and flakey! My husband's new favorate cookie.

Janet

Heather said...

What a cleaver idea. Thanks for sharing. I am having a link party focusing on cookies that can be made with food storage. I would love it if you would link up. http://cookingwithmyfoodstorage.blogspot.com/2011/02/cookies-from-food-storage-link-party.html