-->

Friday, August 15, 2008

Food Storage Friday: Crockpot Oatmeal

I know I promised bean recipes, and believe me, I have those coming out my ears (we eat a lot of beans). But I'm hanging with my mother-in-law and she said "Hey, I have a great recipe for your blog!" So we made it and here it is. (More beans to come!)


We used steel cut oats for this recipe, but you can use regular oats. Quick cooking oats would cook too...well...quick, so don't use those.

Steel cut oats are cut smaller, and they have more of a nutty taste/consistency.



First spray your crockpot with a cooking spray, this will make cleaning a little easier. And you could definitely make this over the stove in a half hour or so, but there's something so nice about waking up in the morning and knowing that breakfast is already made.


Add the water



And the powdered milk. And you could use regular milk, but you can't taste a difference when it's cooked.

Add the oats. Nice action shot huh? It's a lot easier to take pictures when you aren't the one making the food.



Sugar


Cinnamon (Doesn't my mother-in-law have a beautiful backsplash?)


Nutmeg


Salt

And your own personal assortment of dried fruits. We used golden raisins, but craisins would be delicious too.


The dried apricots is really what makes this delicious. What a great food storage item to have on hand.


My mother-in-law is cool, she doesn't use a knife. I'm pretty sure I would cut off my fingers.


Add the apricots and then turn the crockpot on low to cook slowly overnight.


If you want nuts, add those when you serve them. Walnuts or toasted almonds are delicious.

Crockpot Oatmeal

8 cups of water
2 cups of powdered milk
2 cups of oats
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 Tsp nutmeg
1 Tsp salt
1 cup raisins/dried cranberries
1 cup dried apricots, chopped
Nuts, optional

Combine all ingredients, except nuts, in the crockpot. Cook on low heat overnight or for 8 hours. Eat!

3 comments:

Aleasha said...

that looks delish. i will have to give this one a try!

Anonymous said...

YUMMMM. I tried a baked oatmeal recipe yesterday and it was not so good. This looks heavenly.

kjco said...

Dried mixed berries make it a funky purple-ish color, but they are tasty, too. However, when we have apples that have passed their prime, bruised, shriveled, they are great in this recipe.