-->

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Food Storage Tuesday

Every Tuesday, we post specific items you should gather in order to supplement your emergency car kit, your three-month supply, and your longer term storage.  If you are new to our blog, don't worry!  You won't be left behind.  Just start up where we are and follow along.  You will eventually have everything completed.  Once the car kit is complete, we'll be putting together 72-hour kits again (week by week).  Once those are done, we'll gather the car kits again.  So don't worry, just jump on in and join us where we are today!  

Today for your emergency car kits, add water and some high-energy snacks like granola bars.  If you've already completed a car kit (maybe last time we did it?), now would be a good time to check on your food and rotate it, especially the water in plastic bottles.

My three-month supply has been dwindling quite a bit lately, and I haven't been good about keeping track of what we have eaten!  One of my goals for the new year will be to re-assess everything we have, look over my meal plan, and write up a new shopping list.  (I know not to take on something this big around the holidays!  I am hoping to stay sane this month!)  We have a lot of really good food storage recipes on our blog that can help you come up with a three-month plan, too!  For example ,we love spaghetti, so I've planned a spaghetti dinner every Monday night if we were to eat from our three-month supply exclusively.  That means I need to store 12 lbs of spaghetti, 12 sauces, etc... (for the 12 weeks).  Once I have all that, then voila! I have Monday nights done for my three-month supply.  When the right sale hits, I can really stock up and hopefully even get it all done in one trip to the grocery store.  For more variety, you could just plan "pasta night" for once a week and have several different sauces to choose from.  Don't have the time/energy/interest to plan 12 weeks of meals?  We've done that for you in our food storage e-book.

This month for our longer-term storage, we're gathering "other" items.  I was able to stock up on honey over the summer (found a great deal on Craigslist from a local beekeeper), so I'm going to focus on something else this month.... maybe after I check out my local grocery store's weekly flyer.