-->

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Food Storage Tuesday

Every Tuesday, we post specific items you should gather in order to supplement your 72-hour kit, your three-month supply, and your longer term storage.  If you are new to our blog, don't worry!  You won't be left behind.  Just start up where we are and follow along.  You will eventually have everything completed.  Once the 72-hour kit is complete, we'll be putting together emergency car kits again (week by week).  Once those are done, we'll gather the 72-hour kits again.  So don't worry, just jump on in and join us where we are today!


We are starting the 72-hour kits again! The first thing to think about is what you want to keep your kits in. Many people use backpacks (including big backpacking backpacks) which is a good choice. I have also heard of people using rolling suitcases which I think is a great idea (and in fact I might switch over to these... At least one anyway). The point of your 72-hour kit is to use in an emergency (obviously). Keep in mind that you could be using this kit at home, or you might need to transport this kit to another location (which is why backpacks and rolling suitcases are good options). I have heard of people using big Tupperware boxes but those would be difficult to transport in my opinion (if you had to be traveling on foot).


So, this week, decide what will work best for your family and get what you need. Check out thrift stores for the best deals.  I recommend one pack per person... Some will be packed lighter than others, for small children to carry. Like I said, I'm thinking of switching over to a wheeled suitcase we have (plus some small backpacks that I already have, that the kids could carry). Abs uses backpacks for herself and her children, with a big backpacking backpack for her husband to carry (with most of the water, haha).


For those of you who have your kits done (or have started them), what do you use? What do you recommend?


How is your three month supply coming along?  Remember, make a food storage plan and create a master grocery list from that.  Each time you visit the store, grab a few items on your list.


This month for our longer-term storage, we're gathering BEANS!  I love, love, love beans.  So versatile, so filling, and healthy.  In fact, I am proud (and a little embarrassed?) to say that I finally cooked my first edible batch of dry black beans.  I'll admit, I've always been a "canned beans" kinda girl (they're so easy!) but I am totally converted now.  I just soaked 'em overnight, then drained and rinsed them the next morning, and then let them simmer on the stove for a few hours.  This version is much cheaper than canned beans, and healthier since they don't have any added salt.  Now I just have to find a good blend of spices to make them really taste great. Suggestions?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also LOVE beans. But since I learned how to cook beans in my pressure cooker, I LOVE beans even more! Even though I am an organized person, I can't remember to soak my beans the night before! I can go from DRY to delicious in about 2 hours. There is only about 30 min of "active" cooking time.
With pressure cooking you use less time, water and electricty--all things that could be in short supply during an emergency.

Ollamha Anne said...

For bugging out, one of those personal shopping buggies with big wheels and the liners strikes me as a good idea, plus a backpack for the utter essentials. Water is heavy.

Anonymous said...

For some beans such as pinto beans I love to add powdered milk and margerine. It cuts the beany taste. I cook mine in a crock pot.

Anonymous said...

I think it is a good idea to keep the hands free.

Anonymous said...

As for spicing the beans,
I don't except for a bay leaf or two. I add spices depending on what I am going to do with the beans. I can tailor the spices to whatever I choose to cook with my pre-cooked beans after I take them out of the freezer.