-->

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Food Storage Tuesday

Every Tuesday, we post specific items you should gather in order to supplement your 72-hour kit, your 3-month supply, and your longer-term storage. If you are new to our blog, don't worry! You won't be left behind. Just start up where we are and follow along. You will eventually have everything completed! Once the 72-hour kit is complete, we'll be putting together emergency car kits again (week by week). Once those are done, we'll gather the 72-hour kits again. So don't worry, just jump on in and join us where we are today!


This week for your 72-hour kits, add a utility knife (or a pocket knife) and a bucket (5 gallon).  Many people have said that you can get free 5 gallon buckets from grocery stores (ask in the bakery).  I got mine a few years ago at WalMart for under $10.


For your three-month supply, do not forget to store things like medicine!  Also, stock up on Gatorade and chicken soup.  Last week I got extremely sick and my husband was on call at the hospital, and he was gone for 34 hours.  I'll spare you the details, but I almost passed out and could have really used some Gatorade to replenish my electrolytes.  What do you rely on when you are sick?  Do you have those things stocked up in your home?


This month for our longer-term storage, we're gathering "other" items.  I'm gathering honey - thanks everyone for your comments on last week's post about food storage honey.  What are you gathering this month for your longer-term supply?

1 comments:

Jack said...

Sorry to hear you were sick... Know the feeling. Just for that same purpose, along with my preps, I try to keep a case of Campbell's Chicken soup and the powdered containers of Gatorade so I can make 2 quarts at a time when I am sick. I also portion it out into packets that can be used in a one quart canteen if need be. i.e. if I am camping, hiking etc, I just grab a handful of the pre-portioned packets and use one packet per canteen full of water. It's made a difference on those long excruciating hikes where I have messed up how long I thought the trail really was...