-->

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Food Storage Tuesday

Every Tuesday, we post specific items you should gather in order to supplement your 72-hour kit, your 3-month supply, and your longer-term storage. If you are new to our blog, don't worry! You won't be left behind. Just start up where we are and follow along. You will eventually have everything completed! Once the 72-hour kit is complete, we'll be putting together emergency car kits again (week by week). Once those are done, we'll gather the 72-hour kits again. So don't worry, just jump on in and join us where we are today!


This week for your 72-hour kits, add an ax or hatchet and a shovel.  Of course, these items may not fit into your kits, so either store them with your kits or in a place where you will remember to grab them at a moment's notice.  Next to my 72-hour kits I keep a piece of paper with other items to grab if I'm leaving in a jiffy - including the shovel & hatchet, as well as some other items (bucket, family items if we are leaving in the car, etc.).


How is your three-month supply coming along?  It may seem overwhelming at first, but just remember that you don't have to get everything all at once, and you should be storing meals you already eat.  Make your meal plan, then make your shopping list, and go from there.  If you don't want to do it all yourself, check out our food storage e-book. 


This month for our longer-term storage, we are gathering "other" items.  I don't know about you, but I don't think a year's supply should only consist of wheat, beans, oats, and rice!  Besides those staples, I am trying to get a years' supply of spices, bouillon cubes, salt, sugar, white flour, powdered milk, honey, pasta, and yeast.  A year's supply of cocoa powder is probably a good idea, too.... :)   Anyway, this month I am going to focus on honey and salt.  I am embarrassed to say this but I actually ran out of salt this last week - there was NONE in our whole house!  I finally grabbed a cannister of it last time I was shopping, but only one (not really sure what I was thinking!).  Next time I'll be sure to get several more.  It's only about 40 cents for the store brand, so it won't be expensive to get my whole year's supply at once. 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salt is one of those things to buy in bulk. The larger the package, the cheaper. I buy 4lb. boxes at Sams Club for 89 cents. Those little round one pound boxes cost almost twice that! 25lb bags of it is even cheaper per pound, and if you get water softener salt (making sure it is only plain salt) it's close to $5 for 60 lbs.