-->

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Food Storage Tuesday

Every Tuesday, we post specific items you should gather in order to supplement your emergency car kit, your 3-month supply, and your longer-term storage. If you are new to our blog, don't worry! You won't be left behind. Just start up where we are and follow along. You will eventually have everything completed! Once the car kit is complete, we'll be putting together 72-hour kits again (week by week). Once those are done, we'll gather the car kits again. So don't worry, just jump on in and join us where we are today!


This is the LAST week for our car kits and we'll be done!  Next week we'll start gathering items for 72-hour kits, week by week.  Woo hoo!  I am especially working on my car kit because we will be moving soon... making the long 8 hour drive from GA to the VA coast (ok, it's not that long of a drive, but I really hate driving so I'm dreading it!  Especially since my husband will be driving a truck and I'll be driving by myself with the kids).


Ok... anyway.  This week for your car kit, add some cash.  I recommend anything from $5-$20, whatever you feel comfortable keeping in your car.  Be sure to keep a good mix of small bills and coins.  You could keep all the money in your car kit, or keep it in your glove compartment or somewhere up front where it's easily accessible.  Or you could split it up. 


How is your three-month supply coming along?  Since I'm eating my food storage right now, I need to get busy and make a food storage plan for when I move to VA.  I'm going to decide on 21 of my favorite food storage recipes for dinner, and I'm going to (hopefully) just buy all the ingredients for each meal 4 times when I get to Virginia.  That right there gives me 12 weeks of dinners (three months' worth).   I'll probably just plan out 7 breakfasts and lunches, and buy them each 12 times.  


This month for our longer-term storage, we are gathering oats.  Thankfully, my 3-year-old loves oatmeal so I know that we would have no problem eating that if the time came that we had to live off food storage. :)  Not sure what to do with oats?  Check out our post about oats in food storage.  You can also check out our post on how to store food storage.  There are a couple different options!

0 comments: