-->

Friday, August 14, 2009

Food Storage Friday: Whole Wheat French Bread

Brittany here. My sincerest apologies that this post will be photo-less, but unfortunately my beloved camera is officially dead. Even more pathetic than that, I just discovered that I can't transfer the photos I took of this great bread from my cell phone without purchasing a different memory card. Here's the recipe anyway in the hopes that you'll get the picture . . . without the pictures.

This is a 100 percent whole wheat French bread. It is somewhat time-intensive, but my husband, daughter, and I were all pleased with the results.

(Imagine here a photo of two loaves of beautifully browned, crusty French bread, hot and steaming from the oven.)

Whole Wheat French Bread

2 1/4 c. hot water
3 tbs. oil
1/4 c. honey or raw sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbs. instant yeast
4-6 cups whole wheat flour

1. In a mixing bowl, combine the hot water, oil, honey and salt.
2. Add 2 c. flour and mix in.
3. Then add yeast and remaining flour (I put in 5 cups total at this point and then had to add another cup at least during kneading).
4. Let rest 15 minutes, then knead for only a few seconds.
5. Repeat this 2 more times.
6. Put dough on floured surface and knead until smooth (adding more flour as needed).
7. Divide into two parts, then roll each part into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle on well-floured surface.
8. Roll dough DIAGONALLY (roll tightly).
9. Place on baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal (and/or just grease it well).
10. Brush with water (or beaten egg if rotating), sprinkle with seeds or cornmeal if desired, and then slash the top of the loaves diagonally.
11. Let rise until double.
12. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, then turn oven down to 350 degrees and bake 30-35 minutes more.
13. Cool on baking rack and brush with shortening if desired.

(recipe taken from a "Bee Prepared" recipe compilation, 2007)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy.

Unknown said...

What I do with photos from my phone is to email them to myself and then save them to my computer. You can usually add an email address in your contacts and I just have one that is titled "me".

Grannie K said...

I want to tell you how much I enjoy your recipes. I have tried many of them and look forward to trying all of them. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Catherine said...

Great French bread recipe. I like to make my own bread at home :)

Cathy
French online