-->

Friday, July 10, 2009

Food Storage Friday: Oatmeal Wheat Bread from the Test Kitchen

Every month we pick one recipe from the test kitchen to feature in our food storage friday series. This month's recipe comes from Candace.


I make all our bread. I like to experiment with different combinations. This is our favorite.

Ingredients: First - I must apologize for the picture turning out darker than it was supposed to.
Salt, powdered milk, regular rolled oats, gluten, flour, sugar, vegetable oil, yeast, whole wheat flour and not pictured - hot water.

Oatmeal Wheat Bread

I make 4 loaves at a time - so decrease by 1/2 or 1/4's to suit your family's needs.
4 TBSP yeast
4 tsp salt
3 TBSP vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 - 3/4 cup powdered milk
3 cups freshly ground whole wheat flour (yes - I do grind my own wheat)
1 1/2 cups regular oats
4 cups hot water

Add all of the ingredients in the mixer. Cover with the lid and let it sit for about 45 minutes. This is called "sponging." It is highly recommended when working with wheat/yeast products together.
After 45 minutes -
Add: 4 TBSP vegetable oil and start adding white flour (you will end up using 9-10 cups or so).

Add enough flour and knead either by hand or with the mixer until the dough is soft to the touch without being sticky. Transfer to a large bowl sprayed with vegetable oil. Turn dough once. I like to set my bowl on the stove top. The overhead light provides the perfect temperature. Cover the bowl with your favorite towel.

Let the dough rise for about 45 minutes. Punch dough down and divide into four sections. Knead each section a little bit and shape into bread loaves. Place in greased bread pans.

Set bread loaves back on stove top to rise again. This time for 20 minutes. Once again - cover with your most favorite towel. This is an important step. That way - when you look over at the dough rising - it brings happy memories. :) While your bread loaves are rising - turn your oven on to 400 degrees. This way it will be ready to use when your dough is done rising. After 20 minutes - Place bread loaves in oven and bake for 30 minutes exactly.

Remove from the pans immediately and cool on a wire rack. And of course if you live in close proximity to your neighbors - make in the morning and open all the windows of your house/apartment so everyone can smell the wonderful aroma of fresh baked bread. And you don't have to share. Unless you really want to.
When my bread is cooled off - I place in bread bags. I keep two on the counter and freeze the other two. If you have kids like mine - you will have to repeat this process again in 4 days when your bread runs out.

This bread also makes yummy rolls. Just shape them and bake them about 15 minutes. I like to brush a little butter on my rolls but not my bread.




If you would like to contribute to the test kitchen, email us at safelygatheredin@gmail dot com.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this recipe and all of your other recipes. But I have a question for you, How do you slice your bread so evenly? That is my biggest down fall of making homemade bread.

Thank you again,
Lisa

Mandy said...

Lisa - I love your comment. I was so bad at slicing bread as a teenager, that my mom told me that I could never get married until I learned to cut homemade bread decently. I think she was half serious, too :) I finally am okay with at cutting bread, but only because I've practiced a ton over the last 10+ years. My friend uses a bread slicer gadget that she got at a kitchen store that.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the response Mandy!! Do you know by chance which kitchen store your friend purchased the slicer at....I think I may need to invest in one? LOL

Lisa

Unknown said...

I also use a slicer, I found it at DI

Ritsumei said...

That looks like a delicious recipe! I may have to try it, though in a smaller quantity, as my family doesn't eat tons of bread.

Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe but after adding only 7 c.of flour it was so stiff I couldn't even mix it, I let it rise but still couldn't even made a loaf. It ended up in the garbage. Can't figure what I did wrong, I rechecked the recipe several times.