-->

Friday, July 17, 2009

Food Storage Friday: Chocolate Pudding Mix

Brittany here. We're big fans of chocolate pudding around here--especially my husband (I prefer brownies and ice cream, although I don't turn the pudding down). After doing a little investigating, I discovered a few recipes online to make your own pudding mix. After all, those little boxes--while food storage-friendly--can be expensive . . . not to mention it often seems like when we're in the mood for pudding, we don't have any! Now we can have some any old time, although this version takes more preparation in advance than the good old instant stuff in the box.

Ingredients for mix: powdered milk, cornstarch, sugar, cocoa, salt.

Combine dry ingredients (I sifted).

Store in an airtight container until ready for use.

To prepare the pudding:

Mix 2 cups of milk (powdered) and 2/3 c. of the mix in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, and then reduce to a simmer and stir until thickened. Make sure you stir constantly at that point so you don't burn the bottom. I just kept stirring until I thought it was thick enough, probably a couple of minutes.

Pour the hot pudding into a bowl and place in the refrigerator to cool.

I was too impatient, so I took it out when it was still warm to try it. You can see it had this funky film on the top, but I just lifted that over to reveal the chocolatey-goodness underneath.

It was yummy, even warm. I don't think I've ever made the "Cook and Serve" Jell-O version, so I don't know how it compares, but I was pretty pleased with this. Try it today.

Chocolate Pudding Mix


3/4 c. powdered milk
7/8 c. cornstarch
1 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. cocoa
1/4 t. salt, rounded

Combine dry ingredients and store in airtight container.

To make the pudding:
Add 2/3 c. mix to a saucepan. Add 2 cups of milk and stir until blended. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer while stirring constantly until thickened. Cool and serve.

From http://www.creativehomemaking.com/cooking/pudding-mix.shtml


One year ago on SGI: Baked Chicken and Spaghetti

6 comments:

Courtney said...

If you lie plastic wrap on the top of the pudding before you put it in fridge, you won't get the film on the top. I prefer the cook and serve pudding over instant, so I am very excited to try this recipe out!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! Definitely a must try! I love this site.

Give LDS Gifts said...

I have been wanting to try making my own pudding mix for a while now and was just thinking of this the other day. Thanks for the recipe; it's perfect timing. I'll have to give it a try!

Dianna said...

Wow, I can't wait to try this! Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

Do you know if Morning Moo Powdered Milk alternative will work in this recipe? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Morning moo milk is a milk alternative and cannot be used in a pudding recipe. It must be real powdered milk