-->

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

How To: Make Bread Crumbs

Now a reader commented on the efficiency of making your own croutons and I feel bread crumbs go into that category. It is probably not as time efficient to make your own as to buy some. BUT if you are like me in that you can't throw anything away because of the guilt of wasting food, years of your mother saying "There are starving children in China who would love to eat that!" Then making bread crumbs and croutons is for you.

Ingredients: Bread. Gee that was easy.


See this is where my mother's guilt plagues me. I have some leftover smooshed rolls (homemade so they're hard as rocks), two onion rolls that have been sitting on my counter for at least two weeks. And a stale bagel.


So, tear your bread into pieces into your food processor or blended. If you have a wee tiny processor like me, you'll have to do several batches.


Puree until it is crumb-like, and dump into a baking pan. Oh and preheat the oven to 300 or so. If you want seasoned bread crumbs then go ahead, season with whatever you like. I tend to leave mine plain so I can use them for whatever.


Bake and stir every once in a while. The goal here is not to brown these guys, but to dry them out. So I just stir it every once in a while until it looks dry. It may get a little brown and that's okay.


Let it cool and then put your crumbs into a freezer bag. I use a pitcher or something to hold my bag open while I'm pouring.


Now toss this sucker into the freezer to use the next time you make meatloaf, or burgers, or as my husband suggested when I made these, to bread a pork chop.

1 comments:

Nikki said...

I sometimes dry whole pieces of bread in the oven first, (if my bread isn't very stale) and then use the food processor or the baggy method. Meaning I put my dry bread in a baggy and hit it with a rolling pin. It works great if your mad!!