-->

Friday, October 21, 2011

Food Storage Friday: Cookie Dough "Hummus"


Yes, you read that right: Today I made cookie dough dip, or, Cookie Dough "Hummus", as I think I'll call it.


I found the recipe here on this healthy dessert blog, and I only tweaked it a tiny bit, so mostly this is her recipe that I'm sharing with you.


First though, let me clarify: despite the fact that this comes from a healthy dessert blog, and it has chickpeas in it, I would not categorize this as "healthy".  It is not low fat, and it has 1/3 cup of sugar.  Also, while you can eat it plain, it is recommended that you dip food into it, like cookies and crackers, which are rarely "healthy" either. So, this is definitely a "treat" and I do not recommend eating as much of it as you would normal hummus.  


Secondly, this is basically perfect for when you feel like eating raw cookie dough.  For me, that's pretty much every day!  So this is a perfect recipe for your sweet tooth.  I'll admit, I was nervous to try this at first because.... well, chickpeas in a sugary dessert?  Didn't sound too appealing.  But I can't even stress how wrong I was!  My kids even love it!  I'll definitely be adding this treat to our menu plan for our three-month supply of food.  Please try it, it's soooo good.


Here we go!
The ingredients: baking soda (for flavor), oats, chickpeas, peanut butter, vanilla, salt, brown sugar, chocolate chips, prepared powdered milk (not shown, whoops!)

Combine all your ingredients in a food processor (or in my case, Magic Bullet):

Combine until smooth, then stir in your chocolate chips:

Cookie dough on a spoon.... YUM!




Cookie Dough Hummus


1 1/2 cups chickpeas (one can, drained)
1/8 plus 1/16 tsp salt (basically, fill a 1/4 tsp about 75% full)
tiny bit more than 1/8 tsp baking soda (this is for flavor)
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup peanut butter (you could use any sort of nut butter: almond, peanut, etc)
1/4 cup prepared powdered milk (liquid form)
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp oats
1/3 cup chocolate chips


Combine all your ingredients except chocolate chips into a food processor.  I used my magic bullet... it was pretty full but it worked!  Once you have a smooth consistency, stir in your chocolate chips.  Eat plain (yum!) or dip in cookies or pretty much anything you want!


Also, I recommend you visiting the original site this came from, and checking out some of the comments (there are over 300!). Some people have great suggestions for things to add, and the blog author also answers a lot of questions about the recipe.  She even has a link in her post to a sugar-free version of this recipe (it include soaking dates or something like that).  I love this recipe and would love to hear what you think about it!

3 comments:

Sarah S. said...

Hey, I noticed you reduced the brown sugar by half... was it still good? I just want to make sure it wasn't a typo ^.^

Hannah said...

Sarah, yes I halved the brown sugar. It was still great!!

Sarah S. said...

Thanks for replying! I can't wait to try it and save the 280 calories, haha <3