-->

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Food Storage Tuesday

Every Tuesday, we post specific items you should gather in order to supplement your emergency car kit, your three-month supply, and your longer term storage.  If you are new to our blog, don't worry!  You won't be left behind.  Just start up where we are and follow along.  You will eventually have everything completed.  Once the car kit is complete, we'll be putting together 72-hour kits again (week by week).  Once those are done, we'll gather the car kits again.  So don't worry, just jump on in and join us where we are today!


This week for your car kits, add some bottled water and some snacks (granola bars, trail mix without the chocolate (it melts), gummy treats, etc.).  In the past, some people have worried about having their bottled water in the trunks of their cars for so long (because of chemicals from the plastic).  If you are concerned about this, rotate your water regularly, especially in the summer.  I'm not going to tell you how often "regularly" is... I'll let you decide!

How much water?  It depends on how many people are in your family and how many seats you have in your car.  I have 5 seats in my car so I store 5 bottles of water, even though I don't usually have 5 people in my car.  Better safe than sorry, though! 



How's your three month supply coming along?  Make a plan!  I know it seems like we say this all the time but really is the key to success.  A bunch of hodge-podge food storage in your pantry will not do much good (okay, it will of course do the job, but it will be confusing and could be difficult to make meals out of random canned and dry goods).


This month for our longer-term storage we're still gathering "other" items (see the sidebar for a list of items).  I think I'm going to focus on powdered milk and white flour this month.

0 comments: