-->

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Food Storage Tuesday

Every Tuesday, we post specific items you should gather in order to supplement your emergency car kit, your 3-month supply, and your longer-term storage. If you are new to our blog, don't worry! You won't be left behind. Just start up where we are and follow along. You will eventually have everything completed! Once the car kit is complete, we'll be putting together 72-hour kits again (week by week). Once those are done, we'll gather the car kits again. So don't worry, just jump on in and join us where we are today!


This week for your car kits, add a basic first aid kit.  You can find them anywhere - Wal-Mart, Target, etc.  Amazon.com also has them here for under $15 - this one is also small and light - perfect for a small space like your car kit box.


How is your three-month supply coming along?  It's easy to get overwhelmed!  Trust me - I go through phases where I am totally excited about food storage and I do a great job.  Then I'll have a month or two where I get in a rut and I just don't feel like dealing with it!  That's ok - I just make sure I continue to buy a few things every time I go to the grocery store, and keep up with my inventory.  Don't forget to make a plan!  Don't have time to sit down and plan out 30 months of meals and a shopping list?  Check out our food storage e-book.


This month for our longer-term storage, we are gathering "other" items.  If you really did have to live off your food storage, and your three-month supply ran out, you would probably (hopefully!) be left with lots of beans, rice, oats, and wheat.  What would you need/want to supplement it?  Chicken/beef bouillon cubes give rice great flavor; honey or brown sugar would really amp up your oats or wheat berries; some salt and pepper or some ham flavoring would make for some yummy beans.  Think about some basic recipes using your longer-term storage and stock up on those "extras" that would help your longer-term storage become more edible.  (other suggestions for longer-term storage: powdered milk, cocoa powder, yeast, potato pearls, white flour, white sugar, pasta).

0 comments: