-->

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Food Storage Tuesday

Every Tuesday, we post specific items you should gather in order to supplement your emergency car kit, your 3-month supply, and your longer-term storage. If you are new to our blog, don't worry! You won't be left behind. Just start up where we are and follow along. You will eventually have everything completed! Once the car kit is complete, we'll be putting together 72-hour kits again (week by week). Once those are done, we'll gather the car kits again. So don't worry, just jump on in and join us where we are today!


This week, add a flashlight (and batteries) to your car kits.  It would be ideal to add a wind-up flashlight or something else that doesn't require  batteries - that way you'll never have to worry about them going dead. (Stay tuned because tomorrow we will be having a flashlight giveaway!)


How is your three-month supply coming along?  Don't forget, it can be easy (or at least, easier) if you have a plan.  Click on the link to find out an easy way for how to plan your three month supply of food storage.  You can also check out our food storage ebook, which has a complete three-month supply shopping list and recipe list.


This month for our longer-term storage, we are gathering "other" items.  In other words, it's a "free" month - gather whatever you want/need!  Besides the basics of wheat, rice, beans, and oats, I like to have salt, flour, sugar, honey, powdered milk, yeast, bouillon cubes, pasta, and chocolate (chocolate chips, or cocoa powder, or whatever).  I don't necessarily have a complete year's worth of all (or any) of these items, but I definitely like to have more than 3 months' worth.


What "extra" food items do you like to stock up on, besides the basics?

3 comments:

Sadie said...

Hi, I love this site. It has been fun following along and becoming more prepared.
I'm not sure if you've already posted about this, but I think it's important to have all your important documents in order and readily available in case of emergency. I just did a post on my craft blog about Important Documents and what you need to have. Feel free to check it out:
http://pretendingtocraft.blogspot.com/2010/03/important-documents-folder.html
Thanks!

Tom/Tabitha said...

An extra I like having beside the basics is Nesquik. Believe me, powdered milk goes down easier with some of this on hand for the little ones. It's not expensive, and helps ordinary milk become a comfort food for someone. It may seem silly to some, and yes, there are more important things to stock up on, but this is something our family loves and it would help to have on hand.

Sadie said...

I forgot to add that the extra items I like to stock up on are cold cereal. This can be eaten on it's own or with milk and my kids love it more than anything else, so it is perfect for food storage. My Albertsons was have a sale where the name brand cereal was on sale for $1.50 each!!! You just can't beat that. I bought 20 boxes of cereal. The expiration dates are 2 years in the future so I know we will use it all.