-->

Friday, May 22, 2009

Food Storage Friday: Steel Cut Oats

Steel cut oats are a great alternative to regular oatmeal. I'll admit, I don't really like oatmeal, but these steel cut oats were really good, and so easy! The only problem is that they take quite a while to cook, but I have heard that if you soak them overnight (similar to beans), they'll cook much faster in the morning. I didn't do that this time, though.


Ingredients: Steel cut oats, powdered milk, honey (or sugar, optional), and dried fruit (optional).  Oh, and cinnamon (optional, not pictured).



Bring 4 cups of water to a boil, then add your oats. Let them simmer, uncovered, for about 25 minutes (2 pictures above).

Next, prepare 1 cup of powdered milk (mix with water), and add to the simmering oats (above picture). Simmer for another 10-15 minutes, or until the oats have reached your desired consistency.

Dish up! Add honey or sugar for sweetness (brown sugar is great!), and some dried berries as well. Enjoy!


Steel Cut Oats (serves 3-4)
1 cup steel cut oats
1 cup milk (1/3 cup powdered milk and 1 cup water, mixed)
Honey or sugar
Dried berries
Cinnamon

Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add your steel cut oats and let simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes. No need to stir. Next, stir in 1 cup of milk, and let it simmer another 10-15 minutes. Serve with honey/sugar and dried berries.

When you're rotating this meal, fresh berries would be a delicious alternative to the dried ones!

7 comments:

Brooke said...

you can also cook them in a crockpot overnight
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/overnight-oatmeal-recipe/index.html

Mirien said...

I soak them in the cooking water overnight (2 parts water to 1 part oats) and then it only takes 4-5 minutes to cook them in the morning. It works great and we love this so much better than regular oatmeal. It's expensive at the grocery store but you can get it cheap if you buy it in bulk.

Leah said...

I do the overnight crockpot method as well. Best breakfast for my husband who gets up at 4:45am.
Basic method: Put 1 part oats to 4 parts water in a glass or ceramic bowl. Set bowl in ceramic crockpot. Pour approx 2 cups water around your bowl but inside the crockpot (like a water bath). Salt the oats. Cover and cook on low overnight.
You can add dried fruit to cook overnight or fresh/frozen fruit in the morning.
So much easier than the stovetop and less time babysitting the pan as well.

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

I just found an incrediable deal on steel cut oats at a warehouse food outlet. I had been looking for them at a decent price and couldn't find them. Then one day while camping out of town, I saw this warehouse and dropped in. I was excited. I am probably the only person I know who goes camping and instead of bringing special shells or rocks back, brings steel cut oats! LOL

Anonymous said...

I have cooked steel cut oats using several Over Night techniques, including a croack pot on one of those old outlet timers. So far, my most favorite is a rice cooker. The one we have has a terrific built in timer and a non-stick pot inside. You just set it for brown rice, which cooks about the same amount of time as the oats soaked O.N. I did n't really want one of these gadgets originally, but not that we have a good one, I find myself using it all of the time. It makes much better rice than when I cooked it on the stove.

James said...

My friend Tracy recently wrote in and asked what to do with the leftover steel cut oats she has. Her family doesn't really like eating oatmeal for breakfast in the summer and she'd like to use up the oats rather than leaving them to sit until next winter.

Derek said...

OK, I'm a little late to this conversation :-), but maybe this will help someone. Every night, I put 1/4 cup steel cut oats in one of those thermoses with the vacuum insulation, and add just under 1 cup of boiling water. The next morning, I just pour it into a bowl, ready to eat. Thermos rinses right out.