-->

Friday, May 20, 2011

Food Storage Friday: Red Beans with Rice

I asked Mountain Man to use up some red beans we had on hand (in preparation of our upcoming move). He made a DELICIOUS red beans and rice dish that I wanted to share with y'all.

He's one of those cooks that just kind of throws things together (so not me!), but I asked him to TRY to remember what he put in his dish.

Red Beans

1 lb dried red beans

2 quarts water
1 onion, diced (or 1 Tbsp onion powder)
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp salt
½ cup ketchup
1 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 chicken bouillon cube

Rinse beans, add them to water with onion, garlic powder and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for several hours, until beans are soft. Add additional seasonings and ketchup. Mix together and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Serve over rice. OR mix with cooked rice for a "dirty rice" type dish.

Loving on beans lately? Check out our recipe page for some other great bean recipes. My current personal favorite? Pinto Bean Burgers--delicious, quick, bean burrito on a bun!

Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

Stephen and Lovell Nix said...

Hello. I have a blog called the prepare now newsletter. You recently tried to contact me and asked for me to email you. I tried and it came back to me. Feel free to email me at chprep@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I rotate 50 # bags of wheat thru my freezer by breaking them down into 2 gallon storage bags then into mylar bage in 5 gal buckets...take some time but assures no bugs!

Amber said...

I tried this recipe, as is, no changes, and it was delicious. THANK YOU

Adelina Priddis said...

Did you need to soak the beans over night, or could I toss them all in the crockpot in the morning and have it ready for dinner?

Abs said...

Adelina,
I used to soak my beans, but then I saw that the Pioneer Woman (if you need a link let me know) doesn't soak hers, and then I stopped. :) So now I just rinse them well in a colander and get 'em cooking.

Adelina Priddis said...

Wonderful!! Thank you! I've got about 100 lbs of dried beans I need to use, but I always forgot to soak them, and so they've just been "food storage".