-->

Friday, January 20, 2012

FSF from the Archives: Chicken Tortilla Soup

Here's a great soup from our archives. Perfect for that chilly winter night.  Mountain Man made this for me for my birthday last weekend. It's my favorite!

 Originally posted March 20, 2009
Also of possible interest:
How To...Make Tortilla Crisps

We're nearing the end of 'soup season' which is a real bummer because of how easy soup is to whip up for dinner.


Today's meal, Chicken Tortilla Soup, is merely a drop in the pot and cook. Love those.



Ingredients: Tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, corn, green chilies, canned chicken, garlic salt, oregano, sugar and chili powder (and water, not pictured)


Open and dump all your canned items into the pot.



Add the water


and sugar and spices





Open the canned chicken, drain and then shred with two forks. Add to pot.

Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or so.


Top with crispy tortilla strips (coming Wednesday) and serve. Delicious!


Chicken Tortilla Soup
adapted from Favorites

1-28oz can crushed tomatoes
2-8oz cans tomato sauce
1/2 tsp garlic salt
4 cups water
2 Tbsp sugar
3 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1-4oz can diced green chilies
1-13oz can chicken

Combine in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stuff your face.


Okay okay, here's a peek at the dang tortilla crisps


Great, now what am I going to post on Wednesday?

2 comments:

Misty said...

I was looking for a great, quick, easy dinner tonight (it's been a crazy week) and I'm so glad I checked your site. I just put all this in a pot in 5 minutes. I used tomato powder instead of sauce and freeze dried tomatoes and chicken instead of canned. I'll heat it up just before dinner. I love getting dinner out of the way in the morning. Thanks!

Misty said...

oh, an no need to publish this, but the corn isn't in the list of ingredients, just in the pictures.