-->

Friday, February 12, 2010

Food Storage Friday: Surprise Muffins, revisited


A year ago this month, I shared this recipe for Surprise Muffins.  This month, I decided to make them again and try some different jams on the inside.  These make a great Valentines treat, or you can make them on any other day to make it special.  My daughter loves them, just as I loved them growing up.  You can see the full food storage muffins post from last year here.


Surprise Muffins
(makes 12 muffins)


2c flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c shortening
1/3 c powdered milk (with 1 cup water)
Jam (any kind - rasp, strawberry, orange marmalade... the possibilities are endless, really)



Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

Sift your flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. In a separate bowl, cream together the sugar and shortening. Also, use your powdered milk and water to create 1 cup of milk.

Stir in your sugar/shortening mixture and milk alternately into your dry ingredients. Stir until they are all combined.

Drop 1-2 tablespoons of batter into your muffin tin (or paper muffin cup). Next, drop a dollop of jam into the center of each (1/2 to 1 tsp of jam). Use the remaining batter to cover the jam in each of the muffins.

Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

What's your favorite kind of jam?

4 comments:

Brenda said...

These sound yummy. Thanks for reposting this - I wasn't a follower of your blog a year ago.

Anonymous said...

These sound really good...and easy too.:) Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. I haven't been commenting much lately, but I want you to know how much I appreciate that you so generously share your knowledge and encouragement with your readers.
Bless you! Joyce

Grammy Suzzy said...

I just love your blog and cannot wait to try your recipe. My favorite jelly/jam is the Prickly Pear Jelly that we make. We go out to the desert areas near our home, pick them, crush them, strain the juice in buckets, bring the juice home and leave the seeds in the desert, strain again, let the juice sit for a day or so, and then strain off the pure clear juice on top to make jelly. It is so good!

Karen said...

These are SO good!!! Thank you for sharing :) My daughter and I made a batch tonight, and it was the perfect way to use some strawberry-banana jam that had set WAY too thick to be good for anything (or so I thought!)

However, I wanted to point out something... in our oven they were done and then some in just 12 minutes at 425 degrees... the inside and top were just perfect but the outside was a bit overly toasted. Is that temperature supposed to be 325 by any chance? Or is my oven just a bit psycho?