-->

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Food Storage Recipe: Oatmeal Peanut Butter Balls

It's important to try to find healthy, filling meals for your food storage plan.  I also think it's important to have snacks and treats in your food storage plan!  If you had to eat for three months only from your food storage, wouldn't you hope that you have something snack-y and tasty on hand?  I know I would.

My mother-in-law sent me this recipe a few months ago.  It's easy, quick, and my my kids loved it.  Trifecta!  (Unfortunately, I don't know where this recipe originally comes from so I can't give credit where credit is due.  If you know, please tell me!).

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Balls
Ingredients

½ cup creamy peanut butter (you could use any nut butter)
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon milk (use powdered milk & water)
1 cup quick oats
Cinnamon sugar

Combine the peanut butter, brown sugar, honey, cinnamon, milk, and oats.  

Roll your dough into bite-sized balls (about 20-25), then roll in cinnamon sugar to coat.  Chill for 15 minutes.

(I did not roll mine in cinnamon sugar and they still tasted great!  These would also be really good with mini chocolate chips!!)
Enjoy!

5 comments:

jean said...

We are in the process of setting up our emergency kit so your blog is SO helpful to me. I'm planning to use this recipe but my husband allergic to honey. What do you think would be a good substitute?

Thanks for sharing it and all your other tips. They are a great help to us - even though we live on the other side of the world.

Hannah said...

Hi Jean-

Glad that you find our blog helpful!

To be honest, I am not sure if the honey is more for flavor, or for binding these balls together. Although, I tend to think that the peanut butter does a good enough job making it all stick. I would first just try making them without the honey - they would probably taste just fine!

I wonder how it would taste if you tried something like maple syrup though? That's the only thing I can think of that's sweet and has the same consistency as honey.

Good luck!

Abs said...

Hi Jean,

I almost always substitute agave nectar in for honey and it works great in most recipes. You might have to play around (decreasing the amount of agave) but I'm pretty sure it'll work fine.
:)

jean said...

Thank you both so much for your suggestions. I'll try just omitting the honey but keep some maple syrup on hand just in case. Abs, I've never heard of agave nectar but I'm going to try and find some in healthfood shops. It would be good to find a substitute for honey as my husband is so allergic to it.

Online Survival Supplies said...

Quick Rolled Oats are an all natural cereal that cooks up rapidly. Having these in your food storage makes it easy to add to any recipe calling for quick oats. Oatmeal Cookies Recipe