-->

Friday, July 9, 2010

Food Storage Friday: Magic Milk Shakes

I don't know about you, but I like ice cream. A lot. But when I want it and I don't have it in the house, I use this great recipe for make a chocolate shake akin to a Frosty.

Magic Milk Shakes

1 1/2 to 2 c. ice water
1 1/2 c. nonfat dry milk powder
2/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa
1 t. vanilla
1 to 1 1/2 trays of ice cubes, as much as you can spare
2 T. oil plus 5-second squirt of non-stick spray for emulsification


I realize I don't have a photograph here. That's because I am currently on a no-dessert policy and I don't think I could stomach the thought of making four delicious, thick chocolate shakes and not sampling one. Or two. So here's what you'll have to imagine.

I also realize that ice and ice water aren't technically "pantry shelf items." However, if you're in the middle of a snow storm and you have electricity to boot, why not make a magic milk shake from the ice outside? It's also a fun way to use up almost-expiring powdered milk.

To make the milkshakes, place all of the ingredients into the blender, including the oil and non-stick spray. Use less water for thicker milk shakes and vice versa. The blender should be about 3/4s full. If your blender is a weakling like mine, you might have to add more water. Place the lid on. Process for a full two minutes. This is important as the continued blending breaks up the ice crystals and makes a creamy consistency. Pour into cups and serve.

Makes 4 12 oz. shakes.

For variations:
Add a ripe banana
Add a big spoonful of peanut butter
Add a few broken peppermints
Omit cocoa powder and reduce sugar to 1/2 c and 1 T. to make a vanilla shake


Brittany

Recipe courtesy of Cindy Lerch.

Originally Posted November 13, 2009

3 comments:

Shane and Brandi said...

While I was looking at your blog my 6 year old came over. He saw the picture, and insisted we try it. I was a little afraid to be honest. My family are ice cream fanatics. I made them up, and they all loved them! My husband said you could taste a little of the powder milk flavor in the first batch, but the second was perfect. I just let it go longer in the blender before adding the ice. Thanks for the recipe it is a keeper!

thegirlwiththeplan said...

Food Storage Frosty-
You may just be a genius.

Lara said...

I got this recipe years ago from hillbillyhousewife.com. My kids love "magic milkshakes" and they are much more frugal than using real ice cream too!! The non-stick spray is in important part of the recipe!!