-->

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Food Storage Tuesday

Every Tuesday, we post specific items you should gather in order to supplement your emergency car kit, your 3-month supply, and your longer-term storage. If you are new to our blog, don't worry! You won't be left behind. Just start up where we are and follow along. You will eventually have everything completed! Once the car kit is complete, we'll be putting together 72-hour kits again (week by week). Once those are done, we'll gather the car kits again. So don't worry, just jump on in and join us where we are today!


This week for your car kits, add jumper cables.  You can find them in many stores: WalMart, Target, etc., or in any auto shops.  You can also find them online, so shop around.  The one I've linked to on Amazon come in a great little pouch and even have extension cords.  Find what works best for you and add it to your car kit.


How is your three-month supply coming along?  I told you a few weeks ago that I'm actually eating through my food storage right now, and setting aside the saved grocery money so that I can stock back up after we move.  Want to know what I'm eating?  Check out our food storage recipes page and you'll get a good idea.  I'm also using a lot of the canned items to supplement other meals with fresh fruits and veggies. (I love spring/summer for all the wonderful food it brings!).


Also, FYI for all you Utahns, many grocery stores are having case lot sales right now (Macey's in Provo, for one).  I am in Utah right now visiting my sister, and I am SO jealous of all the great opportunities she has to buy cases for food for a great deal!  Be sure to check those out if you live in Utah valley! (Even if you don't, it may be worth the drive if you live relatively close!).  Too bad there's a fifty pound limit on my baggage going home, or else I'd stock up too.


This month for our longer-term storage we are gathering wheat.  You can buy wheat that's already canned up in #10 cans on several websites: LDS Catalog and Emergency Essentials are just a few.  EE also has wheat in 5 gallon buckets, which is great.  And don't forget to check out Our Happy Homestead for wheat grinders and other great tools.


Not sure what to do with wheat?  Check out our articles all about wheat, how to store wheat and food storage recipes using wheat.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Thank you so much for your wonderful blog! I am finally making progress in our emergency preparedness, following along with the car kits.
I did want to mention that the item you linked to on Amazon is for the bag only. The cables on not included! It does look like a very handy pouch, though.
Thank you again. You are helping me face a task I thought I could never handle, and I'm actually enjoying it! :)

Kathy said...

iprepared had a great post comparing wheat prices from various sources. Apparently wheat prices are quite low right now. Yay! Here's the link to iprepared:
http://iprepared.blogspot.com/2010/04/wheat-prices.html

A-1 Mini Storage said...

One of the most important things I learned from my parents is that you should always keep a good food storage and a 24 hour kit. Who knows what could happen. Any day a huge disaster of some sort could happen so it's great to be prepared for anything.

Roy D. Slater said...

Thanks for the tips on car kits. I need to get those and check this off my list. I just love your tips on storage and emergency preparedness. Keep up the great work.