-->

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

It's Tuesday - a new month, a new project!

Every Tuesday, we post specific items you should gather in order to supplement your emergency car kit, your 3-month supply, and your longer-term storage. If you are new to our blog, don't worry! You won't be left behind. Just start up where we are and follow along. You will eventually have everything completed! Once the car kit is complete, we'll be putting together 72-hour kits again (week by week). Once those are done, we'll gather the car kits again. So don't worry, just jump on in and join us where we are today!

We finished gathering our 72-hour kits!! Hopefully many of you have been able to follow along with us, and have your completed kits ready to go! Way to go! If you weren't able to finish you kits, it's ok - we'll get back to them soon. The car kits are much smaller, will only take a few weeks to complete.

Why a car kit? Abbie and I have both found them to be handy because they have basic necessities that we may forget to grab as we leave the house. They are also important because they contain safety items like a first aid kit, jumper cables, and a flashlight. You should make a car kit for each of your cars. If it's not in your budget to do two at once, that's fine; just make one this time around, and make the other one next time.

This week for your car kit, find a box to put everything in. Most of the kit items will be stored in this box, except maybe the blankets (which will be too big). Last time we did this project, many people asked how big the boxes should be, and they were concerned because they drive smaller cars and were unsure a box would fit in their trunk. Don't worry - Abbie's box is only about 14.5 x 7.5 x 10 or so. It's not huge, and it gets the job done. She got hers at Ikea for only a few dollars.

This week for your 3-month supply, make sure you are gathering enough food. Don't forget about snacks and desserts! Of course, these aren't necessary but they sure can help in tough times (I know brownies help me, anyway...). Also, in your grocery lists, don't forget to add things like side dishes. Our recipes that we provide are only main dishes, so you may want to supplement them with things like canned veggies or fruit. Just the other day I was making green bean casserole and noticed that everything was food storage friendly!

We are gathering BEANS in March for our longer-term storage. There's a lot to know about beans, we're going to be having a special guest post series all about them, which I'm looking forward to. As always, we're still putting out new recipes every Friday - thanks to everyone who tries them out and leaves us comments about them. We love your feedback!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am new to this. I've been reading your blog forever, but haven't been able to get organized enough to participate. I'm just going to jump right in! Off to look for boxes!

Anonymous said...

Can you post a picture of the type of box you're describing? I understand the size, but should the box have a cover? Can a cardboard box work? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

A duffle bag would probably work also for the car.

I wanted to mention that for readers who are starting out, my way of getting going is to simply look at what I need for a three month supply when I make out my monthly grocery list.

Over the last few months I've increased canned goods, spices, soaps & cleaners, beans and rice to name a few. My regular pantry has a one month supply and the overflow pantry (upstairs linen closet) has another two months. At some point, I will refine it more but for now it is at least a start.

I also keep supplies if one of us got sick - regular 7up, apple juice and saltines. Interestingly, it was one of the dogs that had a major meltdown recently. I used frozen turkey (the "tired turkey" from making stock) and frozen brown rice when I realized that he had not eaten in two days due to being sick. I thawed them quickly before work, fed him a small amount and a few more small amounts before his appetite finally came back. I was glad I had it immediately available instead of having to go back to the vet for more IV's and special food.

Anonymous said...

I just realized this didn't quite make sense. The frozen chicken and brown rice were for us in case of an emergency illness. With what dog food and vet visits cost, it was worth using until he was well enough for his regular dry food.